Monday, December 2, 2013

funny times in Mo city

How was everyone's Thanksgiving? Mine was sure a day to remember. I ate 4 Thanksgiving Dinners. We literally just hopped from house to house all day eating and sharing lessons on Gratitude. It started at 11, then 1 then 3:30 then 5:30. I didn't know it was possible to eat so much food in one day. By the end of the day I was so full so I didn't eat too much at the last house. I didn't know it was possible to be as full as I felt by 6:30 Thursday evening. The people here in Morgan City don't have much but they have hearts of gold and want to serve and give what ever they have! 
 
On Saturday we had the opportunity to head to Luling to see the baptism of someone that Hermana Toleafoa had taught in the past. Her name is Chery! In Hna Toleafoa's first transfer she was in Baton Rouge and received a referral for a women in Luling, then the next week she was transferred to West Bank which included the Luling area. In August they created a Luling sisters area so then the Luling sisters taught her and on Saturday she got baptized. It was probably the funniest baptism that I've ever been to. I'm not entirely sure what made it so funny but the whole thing was just hilarious, especially the speakers. But even though it was humorous it was still a spirit filled baptism. Also on Saturday we had a birthday party for one of the young women, Gabbi! She's awesome! She was baptized in April and just turned 14! We all had a ton of fun at the Keller's. I cooked the salmon dinner and the elders baked the cake and the Kellers made the sides. Then we played lots of fun games. It was a blast! 
 
Funny story: so last week on Preparation Day my district and I all headed down to the downtown of Morgan City to take Christmas Pictures. We took them by the welcome to Morgan City sign and the Morgan City boat that they had decorated for Christmas. They had a Nativity set up and reindeers pulling the boat. Well, the next day the boat and the decorations and everything had been roped off with red, white and blue streamers- not really Christmas, more like the 4th of July. whoops :) I'm not sending the pictures yet, you'll have to wait to receive our Christmas card. Also, if you want me to send you a Christmas Card, send me your address :) 
 
Another fun story: Last night we went to visit a less active member that has 2 kids. It was probably the funniest lesson I've ever had. She has a 7 year old daughter, Zarian. She had never heard of the Book of Mormon before so we taught her a little bit about it using the pictures in the front of the blue missionary version of the Book of Mormon. She also tested her mom's knowledge. Well Zarian got bored really fast. So we acted out the scenes from the pictures. We mainly just acted out the story of Nephi building the boat then when his brothers tie him up on the boat. Hna Toleafoa was Nephi and Zarian and I were Laman and Lemuel. It was HILARIOUS!!!!!! We were all just dying of laughter! It also kept Zarian entertained so she could learn from it! 
 
You would think that for how many times I've had to act on my mission that I would be a better actor but I think I've actually gotten worse. Acting may not be one of my talents but I do have other talents. In Relief Society we talked about talents and recognizing the talents we have. We went around and everyone said what everyone's talents were! It was a really awesome lesson. Sometimes we compare ourselves too much to others. We tend to think, "oh well this person can do this talent better than me so it doesn't matter if I have this talent." We also tend to think that we don't have any talents but that is also not true. Satan is always trying to get us to compare ourselves to others and to make us think that we are worthless and talent less! But we are all Sons and Daughters of a King and he has blessed each one of us with a unique set of talents that can help us build up the Kingdom! 
 
Well next week is Transfers so I will be emailing on Tuesday
con mucho amor,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment