Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Life for the N.IB 3

Yup, we're the N. IB3 (New Iberia 3)  :) Life is a little different here in New Iberia. I can't quite find the words to describe New Iberia. It's so different from any place I've ever been in my life. Not saying it's bad, just unique! There are sugar cane fields EVERYWHERE. As well as bugs everywhere. There are lots of bugs in Louisiana but there seems to be a higher bug population of them here in New Iberia.
 
There is a branch here in New Iberia. It's much larger than the branch in Morgan City. There were probably about 30 people at church on Sunday. There are a handful of really awesome active members that work so hard to strengthen the branch. We seem to get fed a lot here so that's nice. And we rarely go home empty handed. Our fridge is stocked with a lot of leftovers.
 
My companions are super fun. Sister Stennett is from Hawaii and Sister Wily is from Utah but she is Hawaiian. So I'm surrounded by all things Hawaiian. This past week I've been learning to play the ukulele and hula dancing! I'm a natural at all things Hawaiian :) kidding.... kind of. In our free time, which we don't have too often, one of the three of us is usually playing the ukulele or singing different songs. Sister Stennett is also incredible at the violin. They both have incredible voices too. Also, for mutual last week, Sister Wily taught the Young Women and us a hula. It was a lot of fun. On Friday we visited a member in the hospital and Sister Wily did a little mini concert for her then played while Sister Stennet and I did the hula she had taught us. Afterwards, Sister Dickens told Sister Stennet to stick to the violin and said that I was born to be a dancer. hahaha While Sister Wily was playing a lady from across the hall migrated over to the room to hear her sing. Her name is Carla. We ended up giving her a Book of Mormon and teaching her a little about the church. It was so awesome. She kept saying that I looked so familiar. I seem to be getting that a lot the past few weeks. I've probably had 10-15 people tell me that I look familiar or that they felt like they already knew me. So either I have an identical twin running around here in Louisiana or we knew each other in the pre-existence! Even with all the craziness of the past few weeks, these little moments and encounters have helped me know that I'm where I'm supposed to be and that everything has happened for a reason!!
 
One day this week we filled in for the seminary teacher and taught seminary. I thought it was going to be the death of me. Missionaries get up early but not that early. I don't know how people do it. Props to anyone that ever went to early morning seminary!! It's a good thing that we lived in Utah when I was in seminary or I don't know how I could have done it :) Anyway, the lesson was on the testimonies of the 3 and 8 witnesses. It was cool to study and prepare for the lesson. We also shared with them Ether 5:1-4 that says:
1 And now I, Moroni, have written the words which were commanded me, according to my memory; and I have told you the things which I have sealed up; therefore touch them not in order that ye may translate; for that thing is forbidden you, except by and by it shall be wisdom in God.
 2 And behold, ye may be privileged that ye may show the plates unto those who shall assist to bring forth this work;
3 And unto three shall they be shown by the power of God; wherefore they shall know of a surety that these things are true.
 4 And in the mouth of three witnesses shall these things be established; and the testimony of three, and this work, in the which shall be shown forth the power of God and also his word, of which the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost bear record—and all this shall stand as a testimony against the world at the last day.
 
It was super cool to read this, especially verse 4 since we are a trio right now. There are 3 witnesses in lessons and that's cool! Sometimes it's hard to teach in a trio but it's so powerful to have the testimony of 3 witnesses of the truth!! I know the scriptures are referring to the actual 3 witnesses of the gold plates but we are also 3 witnesses of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!!
 
We are currently teaching a few members the temple prep classes. It's so awesome to see their desire and eagerness to go to the temple to receive their endowments. It's strange to be on the other side of the class though. I feel like it was just yesterday that I was preparing to go to the temple and having the lessons but now I'm teaching them! I feel a little inadequate but the spirit is the true teacher, not me!
 
This week we also started teaching a new investigator named Seth. He's so awesome! He's 25 years old, probably 4'10 and 105 pounds. He is so tiny but so full of energy and desire to serve God. He also signed up for the National Guard this week. He wants to defend our freedoms and help those that can't defend themselves. He reminds me of Captain America!!! So tiny but filled with willingness to serve! Anyway, the sisters met him a few weeks ago while doing "Music on Main." It's this thing that the sisters started as a finding opportunity. Since they have amazing musical abilities they sometimes play music on main street in New Iberia. They have found a lot of cool people through this and have started teaching them. Well, they first met Seth about a month ago but didn't get his number or address but gave him a Book of Mormon and he said he would come to church the next day. The sisters didn't see him again until last week. They ran into him at a grocery store. He told them that he got into a wreck that night and his car was totaled. He lost his copy of the Book of Mormon in the wreck also. He was so excited to see them at the store. He told them that he felt that God has a plan for him but he just doesn't know what it is! He is so prepared! We had two really awesome lessons with him this past week and have an appointment with him this evening!
 
So yesterday for Preparation Day we went to the Zoo of Acadiana! It was super fun!  I took a ton of fun pictures but sadly I left my camera at the apartment today :( I'll try to send them next week! 
 
Well I hope everyone enjoyed the 3 day weekend! I love and miss you all!
 
con amor,
Kim 

No comments:

Post a Comment