Monday, July 29, 2013

just a normal week in NOLA :)

Back to a trio! Hermana Tanner got her visa and left us yesterday. Hna Sagers, Walker and I will be a trio for this week until transfers next week. Transfers are next Wednesday so my Preparation Day will be on TuesdayI'm getting a little nervous... this was my 7th transfer in Kenner so I've been here about 9.5 months. That's a long time for a sister missionary to be in one area! But I hope I don't get transferred!! I sure love Kenner and the New Orleans area! :) 
 
As for the week, it was awesome!!! This week we had a lot of awesome lessons, served the Elders, helped prepare for a birthday party, did paper mache, ate yummy food, visited New Orleans, learned some Spanish, had food poisoning, rode some bikes, heard some ghost stories, prepared some plays, delivered doughnuts, wrote some poems, painted some pictures, taught some English, said goodbye to another visa waiter ...... just a normal week as a missionary :) I seriously have done some of the most random things as a missionary. :) I never thought I would do so many crafts and theater productions as I have as a missionary. 
  
The lessons we had this week were really cool! There seemed to be a general theme to many of our lessons this week. In just about every single lesson the members and investigators talked about the spirit we have that we bring into their home. So many mentioned how powerful the influence of a missionary can have on a person and home. They also talked about how even though we don't always know what to say or what to teach, that just by being in their home we are blessing them. Also, they talked about the peace we bring into their home and into their lives! It was so cool to hear this repeated so many times during the week. It was really great to hear how we are helping others and not just wasting our energy. Often times as a missionary we never see the results of our labors so it's always nice to hear that what you are doing is helping someone.
Also, our recent convert Ana is doing AWESOME!!!!!! She is already a member missionary and she was baptized less than a month ago. We are now teaching so many other people in her family and many of her friends. One of her friends lives in New Orleans and the Elders just started teaching him last week. He now has a baptismal date at the end of August! She is just spreading the gospel with anyone and everyone she knows!!!! It's so great!!! 
 
I had a lot of great personal studies this week and I read one of my favorite stories from the Book of Mormon so I wanted to share it with you all. It's in Mosiah 24. In this story the people of Alma are being persecuted by a man named Amulon. He tells them that they aren't allowed to pray but this is what happened...
 
12 And Alma and his people did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their hearts to him; and he did know the thoughts of their hearts.
13 And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.
14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.
16 And it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again, saying: Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage.
I just love this story so much!!! We all know that in life we will all have problems and often we ask God to take our problems away. What we really need to pray for is the strength to bear our burdens. He is not just going to take the burden away from us because we ask Him to but He will give us the strength to endure the burden. We are not given more than we can bear but we are given things we can't bear on our own, and for those circumstances we can rely on the Savior and the enabling power of the Atonement! The enabling power of the Atonement is real and powerful! 
 
All in all, it was another great week here in Kenner :)
 
As for my headaches... they are improving greatly. I still have a headache, going on 16 weeks now, but I'm doing much better! Thank you for all your love,support and prayers in my behalf. 
 
I hope everyone has a wonderful week! I love you all!
 
con amor,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment