Well for starters.... We're carless for the next 3 days. hahaha.... yeah, I don't know how to ride a bike! :) So a few weeks ago our car got backed into by this sweet old lady that we gave a Book of Mormon to and we had to turn our car into the shop this morning to get it repaired! They said we should be able to pick it up on Wednesday. It's going to be an interesting few days!! Thankfully we will be with the Metairie Sisters today in their car! But tomorrow we're on our own.... I kind of want to cry at the thought of riding a bike tomorrow! the drivers here are crazy and can't handle bikers. Plus the sidewalks are awful. I'm a little nervous to say the least. Just another adventure to be had and a lesson to be learned I guess! I'm just grateful that we are able to have a car on a normal basis! I'm sure going to miss our little Ford Fusion the next few days.
For English Class this week, Hermana Walker's class had asked her to make a test of everything they've been taught and then they took the test. The test was a comprehensive list of everything on the 24 beginner lessons in our English Class materials. I ended up taking the test too because my class didn't come on Tuesday. The test was massive!! There were about 270 vocabulary words, 60 verbs and about 50 phrases. It was funny to see what I did and didn't know. There would be whole sections that I wouldn't know like car parts... haha Can't say that I've needed to know that yet on my mission so I didn't know those words or phrases for an auto parts store. But then there would be sections about how to say a prayer and I'd get all those right! haha. I would like to be relatively fluent but for now I kind of just have a missionary vocab.
The most interesting lesson this week was a Law of Chastity lesson using Elder Bednar's talk from April's conference.... it didn't go great. We have an investigator that wants to get baptized but is living with her member fiancée that is still married to a woman back in Honduras. The wife is refusing to sign the divorce papers and apparently her brother is very high up in the government and is making sure the divorce doesn't go through. It's been going on for at least 8 years now. Elizabeth, our investigator, said she will wait until they can get married then she will get baptized. We talked about how that's not the only way that she can get to baptism but the easiest way. Hna Walker and I have a suspicion that the divorce won't go through until they decide to live the Law of Chastity on their own. (She feels that they are justified in breaking the Law of Chastity since God isn't helping the divorce go through.) We shall see what happens. It's a sad situation and sadly not the only case we have of this. So many people are married and can't get divorced so they just live with the new significant other without being married.
This past Saturday was filled with service! We started off the day by going with a member, Hna Salanic to do her visiting teaching then her daughter called and said that no one showed up for the cleaning assignment at the church so she and her son were there alone cleaning the church. We immediately called all the Elders and we all headed over to the Church to clean. Following that, we went to help the Henriquez Family. They are moving today but we went on Saturday to help pack up. The husband was working so the elders couldn't come in so they stayed outside and help clean up the yard and move some heavy things around while Hermana Walker and I stayed inside to help pack up! Moving is hard work!
Church yesterday was AWESOME!!!!!!!!! A very less active member, Ruth Kinnon, came to church!!!!!!!! It was a miracle!!!!! She hasn't come to church in a really long time and we've had a few interesting lessons with her that made it seem like she didn't want to ever come back! But she came. She disappeared after Sunday School (which is first hour for us) but at least she came. She is the one that we did service for in her backyard a few weeks ago. Also, another less active, Estefannia, came!! She hasn't been to church in a few months but the best part is that her husband Jhony was there!!!!!!!!! He's been in jail (immigration issues) for the past 5 months!! We were supposed to have a lesson with Estefannia on Thursday but she wasn't home and her phone broke so we couldn't get a hold of her. We were super confused and bummed out that she wasn't home. But it turns out that she had to go to Oakdale on Thursday to pick Jhony up from jail!!! MIRACLE! Also, our investigator, Felipe from English Class, came for the third time yesterday so that was awesome!! He has been coming to church and all the activities since the first week he came to English Class about a month ago! He's awesome! And said he loves church!
Hope everyone has an awesome week!!!
con amor,
Kim
No comments:
Post a Comment