This year the theme of our mission is "Love. Serve. Teach." And that's exactly what we've been doing this week! On my mission, I've found that when you love or serve someone first, they will be a lot more willing and open to the teaching.
One of the highlights of this week was being able to serve an older lady in our ward named Ruth Kinnon. She was baptized about 3 years ago and is very less active. We've been going over and teaching her with little results. And she never lets us help her do anything. We called her Saturday morning to see if we could come visit her but she said she was doing yard work so we couldn't come visit her. We promptly responded that we would be there soon to help. We ran home, changed and went right over to help "pull weeds in the garden." When we got there we realized there was a lot of work to be done. So we texted some Elders and two by two they all showed up to help us!!!!! It was awesome!!!!! What a great opportunity to love and serve Ruth and it was awesome to see the response of the Elders and their willingness to help us!!! I attached a picture of us. This was after the 3 hours in the hot sun pulling weeds! From left to right : Hna Walker, Ruth Kinnon, Me, Elder Medrano, Gillett, Wilson, Twigg, Cornejo and Crane. The brown dirt we are standing on had been covered in green weeds just hours before :)
Working out in a yard on a Saturday reminded me a lot of home. I may not have always been very willing or nice about it, but I remember many Saturdays out in the yard pulling weeds, planting gardens, etc. And now I'm grateful for it because I knew how to help get this yard into shape while many of the Elders had no clue what to do :)
We've been having a ton of success and progress with our English Class! A few weeks ago we gave them all a Book of Mormon in English and Spanish. Something I've done to learn Spanish and practice pronunciation is to read it out loud in Spanish. So we suggested they do the same to help learn English. One of them, Juan, says he's been reading it a lot and really enjoys it!!! Also, Felipe has been coming to English class for about 1.5 weeks. Last Thursday he said he has been looking for a church so Hermana Walker invited him to church on Sunday and he came yesterday!!!! It was awesome!!!!
We "unformered" a "former" investigator!!!! That was pretty exciting. Back in December I started teaching a lady named Berta. We had 2 lessons with her then she said to come back after Christmas. After Christmas we never heard from her again, but we tried and tried and tried with no success. Then last Monday we were heading to Harahan and I suggested we call Berta. She told us to come right over! We had an awesome lesson with her and her son, Daniel and they said we could come back this week!!! Super exciting!!!
It's getting hot and humid here in Louisiana!! I have a feeling that I'm in for a VERY loooong summer if I already think it's hot and humid..... it's only April :)
Hope all is well! Have a great week everyone!!!
con amor,
Kim
No comments:
Post a Comment