Monday, February 11, 2013

Happy Mardi Gras!!

It's been an unusual week with lots of things consuming our time but it was a GREAT week!!!!

For starters, at the beginning of the week we moved. We switched apartments with the Kenner Spanish Elders. Let's just say it's not very fun to move into a place that 19-21 year old boys have been living in...... it took some time to make it relativity clean. haha.
 
Then on Thursday we went to Houma to attend the funeral of President Voisin. He was in our Mission Presidency and he passed very suddenly. It was an incredible funeral. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to attend his funeral and hear about his life. He was an AMAZING man!! His career was in the seafood industry so after the funeral their was a large seafood buffet!! YUM. The missionaries were the servers and I was on the potato salad. I was super confused as to why they had placed the potato salad between the gumbo and the dessert..... then people started coming and putting out their gumbo bowls for me to put the potato salad in. WHAT?!?!??! potato salad in gumbo??? weird. Turns out it's the Louisiana thing to do, so I did it to! But I've got to admit that I wasn't a huge fan. I prefer my gumbo and potato salad separate.
 
On Friday we had Specialized Training/District Counsel with President and Sister Wall. It was a great meeting and I learned a lot. President wants all of us to know when we go home that our mission theme is to Love, Serve, Teach, for all of us to be converted to the Gospel and for all the missionaries to have good manners!!! We focused a lot on retention of recent converts and rescuing the less actives. This is a major area of focus for our area of the vineyard! Our job is not simply to baptize, as it says in John 15:16,"Bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain."
 
Saturday we had Zone Training Meeting. We are focusing on Weekly Planning, Our mission Training Plan and the Purpose of a District! It was a great meeting. Then Saturday night we had a ward movie night! We watched the Joseph Smith movie. We started watching it in Spanish then had a technical difficulty and had to finish it in English.... turns out a lot more people understand English than I thought!!!!! One of our less actives came, Merilyn, and her two adorable kids!!!! I was so excited that she came!!! We are going to a Mardi Gras Parade with her tomorrow!!! We are allowed to go to one parade with a member if it ends before 6! I will be happy when Mardi Gras is over because I have eaten my fair share of King Cake this Mardi Gras season!
 
Hope everyone has a great week! I love and miss you all!

con amor,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment