Monday, February 3, 2014

I don't even know where to begin with my week....

I guess with the weather. 
Tuesday and Wednesday the whole city was just shut down. When they hear on the news that there is potential for snow or ice, everything shuts down!! It was crazy cold and everything was covered in ice. We didn't get any actual snow but it was sleeting and there was ice everywhere. It was nice to catch up on some sleep, but staying in an apartment for that long as a missionary gets a little boring after awhile. Oh we were on lock down so I didn't even have to ride my bike any way :) So on Tuesday and Wednesday it was in the low 20's but felt WAY colder due to the humidity. Then on Saturday it was 80!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that???? Now today it is 45! This weather is all over the place. It's so hard to get dressed each morning because you have no idea what the weather will bring that day. 

As for missionary work, it was a little slow for everyone this week. So we didn't teach too many lessons but Hermana McClendon and I did a ton of service, including helping someone move. I've stopped counting how many people I've moved on my mission. The number is high! 

Yesterday we taught Relief Society. That's the first time I've done that in my mission. We were SOOO nervous to teach the lesson. If it had been in English it would have been a piece of cake but since it was in Spanish is was so nerveracking! The whole time we were up there I was sweating bullets!! I kept thinking to myself, "I know I'm nervous but I am so not nervous enough to be sweating like this." After the lesson when we sat down I saw on the thermostat that it was set at 85 degrees. No wonder I was DYING!!!!! But nonetheless we survived the lesson and I feel that it went really well. We had been asked to teach about how the members can be good missionary. We based our lesson on the scriptures,  1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" and Luke 22:32 "and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." We focused on being prepared to give answers by studying the gospel. Then as you know the gospel you will feel the desire to live the gospel which will lead to conversion. Once you are converted then you can strengthen others. And as you live the gospel, others will see that there is something different about you so they will ask questions, which will naturally lead to missionary opportunities. 

One of the best parts of this week were the lessons we had with our investigator, Caroline! We had two awesome lessons with her this week. And she now has a baptismal date!!!!! She is preparing to be baptized on February 22nd. I know Satan is working on her hard right now but she is so strong and so excited! I first taught her my very first transfer! So I've been teaching her on and off for my whole mission! It has been so incredible to see the change in her as she comes to the knowledge of the gospel and comes closer to Christ! It's amazing to watch someone gain a testimony of the Gospel and become converted! That brings true joy that just can't be fully explained. 

Funniest part of the week- Seeing the biggest pile of laundry I've ever seen in my life!!! Hermana McClendon and I went to go help a member clean up her house. They have been having lots of crazy medical problems come up and have gotten a little behind on house work but were having a birthday party for one of their girls the next day so we went to help. The 2 of us folded laundry for a full hour and we were only half way done with the pile! I wanted to take a picture of the pile so bad but thought that might be offensive. So y'all will just have to use your imagination! 

Also, this last week President Wall had a birthday! and this is what he said about it...."I had a terrific day on Friday. My phone just kept beeping! I was in an attorney's office being deposed (for several hours) and every few seconds and minutes, my phone would beep or bleep. It was a bit distracting so I had to turn my phone off. The attorney's were very curious, so I told them it was my missionaries texting me to wish me Happy Birthday. Dozens of text messages, each one making me smile. I hope the camera caught some of the smiles as they recorded my testimony. I love you all and I am very grateful for your wonderful love. Now, do you know how old I am? Multiply 13.4 by 10 and then double that number. Divide that number by 4. Subtract 10. Add 23. Divide by 2. Add 27. That's it!

And for Sister Wall, divide my number by 2."

I just love President Wall!!!!! He is so amazing! So spirit led and amazing yet so down to earth and straight up hilarious! 

Everyone one of the missionaries seem to be exhausted after the craziness of the week. During Coordination yesterday, all the missionaries just looked straight up exhausted and in desperate need of Preparation Day. I don't think I have ever been so excited and needing pday so badly! 

Okay.... so my email is all over the place and I hope I made sense... If not, I blame the straight up exhaustion that I feel right now. I'm not sure if I'm even thinking straight at this point : )

"For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive , and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it— Therefore, that we should waste and wear out our lives in bringing to light all the hidden things of darkness, wherein we know them; and they are truly manifest from heaven— " (D&C123:12-13)

I love and miss you all! Just a few more weeks :) 
con amor,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment