Tuesday, January 21, 2014

If you're skinny in the south it means you have no friends

Transfer news: I'm staying in Kenner for my last transfer :) I'm super excited to stay in Kenner! It means that I will have served 9 out of my 12 transfers in the field!!! And for the 2nd year in a row I get to be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras :) Which is my last preparation day in the field :) But Hermana Garica is leaving me :( I'm super sad to say goodbye to her. I have loved serving with her! 

This week was a spirit filled week! We had a General Authority, Elder Perkins, visit our mission!! Always super exciting and nerve racking to meet a General Authority. It was super awesome to see him and his wife as well as Sister and President Wall for 3 days in a row! Friday we had Zone Conference with them then Saturday we had the Adult Session of Stake Conference, then Sunday Stake Conference! 

For Zone Conference, each missionary had to come prepared with a 3-4 minute talk on "How do commitments relate to conversion by the power of the Holy Ghost?" and each companionship had to prepare and 10 minute role-play (in English) on the importance of ordinances. Then Elder Perkins randomly, well by the spirit, chose 4 missionaries to give their talk and 2 companionships to do the role play. Luckily we didn't get chosen!! 

For zone conference, Elder Perkins talked about the importance of coming spiritually prepared to a meeting. He also said that we need to change our attitude about meetings. They are known for being boring and long. But when we prepare for a meeting then the meeting can become a revelatory experience! He said that when you come to a meeting with questions then you become an agent and not just an object to be acted upon. (2 Nephi 2:14) He then talked about receiving answers. The thing that stuck out to me, since it's been applicable to my life lately, is that sometimes when you don't get an answer it's because He trusts you. Then he said, "What will you do with that trust?"

Sister Perkins gave us the invitation to read our Patriarchal Blessings and write down, "I am....." For example, "I am a daughter of God.... descendant of Ephraim....." etc. When we do this we will see ourselves as our Heavenly Father sees us. I haven't done it yet but I'm excited. She also talked about time. We will always have 24 hours in a day, or 7 days in a week, etc. The time won't change but you determine what you do in the time that you have. 

Elder Perkins also invited us to write our own Alma 26 when we finish our mission. That will be exciting. And it will come soon. Only 6 more weeks. Throughout the day he really focused on leaving invitations with investigators! It was an amazing meeting. 

Saturday session of Stake Conference was amazing. Elder Perkins told us that it was the first time in history that the First President has chosen a topic to be talked about at every Stake Conference. The theme was Hastening the Work of Salvation. They talked about the 3 parts of the Work of Salvation, missionary work, the rescue and temple work! The meeting was incredible and so inspiring. And a lot of media was used! I'd never seen that before in a Stake conference but it was great. The church has been working on so many amazing media tools! 
President and Sister Wall spoke on the missionary aspect of the Work of Salvation, The Stake Presidency spoke on the rescue and the Baton Rouge Temple President and wife spoke on temple work. Elder Perkins talked about all of it! He has some awesome stories about the 12 Apostles! 

My favorite quote of the week is when President said, "A true friend is someone who invites you to dinner.... again and again. If you're skinny in the south it means you have no friends" He then stepped around the pulpit and opened his jacket! It was hilarious!!!!! Sister Wall also said that the Louisiana Baton Rouge has always had 12 sisters. They had 12 sisters when they got here. Now the mission has 56 sisters!!!! And tomorrow at transfers we lose 2 but gain 7! So how there will be 61 sisters! 

On Sunday we performed at a Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration for the city of New Orleans. It was as exciting as we all thought it would be. There was actually hardly any one there. :( But the Lady in charge of it all had actually been a part of the boycott in Birmingham and walked in the marches and stuff so it was cool to hear her stories.

It's been a crazy busy week...oh I forgot to mention that I went on exchanges with the Luling Sisters. That was fun. I got to teach different people! That made me happy.

It's crazy to think that I'm already in my final transfer. How did that happen? 
I love and miss you all! 
con amor,
Kim

p.s. The new mission president has been announced. This is what President Wall said about it,"For those of our missionaries that have not heard, Reed Hansen and his wife Mary Anne, from Boise, Idaho have been called to preside over the Louisiana Baton Rouge Mission, beginning July 1st of this year. Sister Wall and I had the pleasure of talking with soon-to-be-President Hansen and sharing with him the great blessing he will have in serving with each of you. We could tell from our conversation that he has a wonderful spirit and desire to love and work along side you.

We thought you might like to read a comment that was on the web site where the announcement was listed.

"Baton Rouge, Louisiana Mission: You are about to get outstanding leadership in Reed & Mary Anne Hansen. Reed was our Bishop in Boise a few years ago. He and his wife are such loving, kind, and wonderful leaders and friends. We were so excited when we heard about this call. Mary Anne is from the South and will feel right at home in their new setting. Lucky missionaries; lucky people in Louisiana mission!""

No comments:

Post a Comment