It was a bit of a rough week because I've had a cold/cough but it was an awesome week as well. We had a lot of great lessons and a lot of fun.
We've been teaching a lot of Spanish investigators lately which makes me really happy. My Spanish rapidly declined the last three months since I was in an English companionship for awhile then salt and pepper with very few chances to use my Spanish. I love having a companion to practice Spanish with! We also have a native Spanish speaker in the district, Elder Herbert. He has been such a huge help! He was in my District last year around Christmas but we could never talk to each other. I didn't know enough Spanish and he didn't know enough English! But now we can communicate and help each other out!
On Saturday we had a big Branch Thanksgiving Dinner! It was really nice and quite a few people came! Maybe about 40 people! That's a big deal for how small our branch is. More people come to things when food is involved. Sad but true. Afterwards we played volleyball, with a soccer ball haha, then soccer. I played for the volleyball but sat out from soccer thanks to my head. Everyone seemed to have a lot of fun! The weather was beautiful too! Maybe in the high 60's. The weather has been weird this week. It started out really cold, maybe high 40's then was in the low 80's towards the end of the week. It's still pretty warm here most days.
Not much to specifically tell you about this week so I guess I'll just tell you a whole much of random information for ya...help you enjoy :) if not, sorry. better luck next time!
some Louisiana phrases for ya:
-been being -" I've been being here for 3 months"
-cuttin up- when someone is doing something stupid or being funny. "She be cuttin up"
-alright- their response to everything. "How you doing? A'right"
some Spanish phrases:
-pow pow, they say this when a little kid is being bad and they are going to spank them or something
-Si Dios quiere, If God wants. For example, we'll ask someone if they will come to church on Sunday, Si Dios quiere- My thought- "yes, He does want you to go!!!!" I always think it's so funny when they say that.
-Dioscito- literally it means little God but they use in it reference to Jesus Christ
Another random but interesting fact, one of the members of the branch is the Doctor for some of the people on Swamp People. Houma is the home of the Swamp People and that's about half hour from where I'm at. Go watch Swamp people and you'll see a lot of the type of people I meet down here :)
For my personal studies right now I'm reading the Book of Mormon while focusing on the development of Christlike Attributes, the Doctrine and Covenants in Spanish, Jesus the Christ, most recent General Conference talks and Preach My Gospel while stopping to do all of the activities! I've been having a lot of awesome personal studies lately! But sometimes feel overwhelmed by how many different things I want to study.
Our district meeting last week was based off of a song from the movie Hercules, One Last Hope. It was an awesome District Meeting.
Well I can't think of anything else for today. Hope everyone has a wonderful week!
con amor,
Kim
No comments:
Post a Comment