It was a bit of a rough but miracle filled week. Sister Wily
was down a few days due to headaches but then hers finally broke. She'd had a
headache for a month and a half straight and she's now been pain free for 3
days!!! Then I was down a day because my headache got worse! I've now had a
headache for 6 months straight. I'm so excited that hers broke!!! But wish mine
had as well. Oh well. Just keep pushin on and endurin!
So I had lots of study time this week!!! : ) and I finished
The Book of Mormon!!!! It's always an incredible feeling to finish The Book of
Mormon from cover to cover. I had been reading The Book of Mormon with the
Elder Bednar challenge. It was such an incredible feeling to write the 1-2 page
summary after reading the whole Book of Mormon looking for the instances of the
enabling power of the Atonement. Before this challenge and talk by Elder
Bednar, I had never really even heard of the enabling power of the Atonement
and I sure didn't understand it. I'm sure through the many years of church
attendance I had heard examples of it but I never really understood it or
coined a term for it. I feel as though my understanding and application of the
Atonement has grown so much over the past 3 months as I have been doing the
Elder Bednar challenge. It has helped me grow in so many ways. I know I don't
fully understand the Atonement, nor do I think I ever will in this life but my
understanding has grown exponentially through this experience. (for those that
have no clue what I'm talking about check this link out,
http://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/04/the-atonement-and-the-journey-of-mortality?lang=eng.)
I'm still reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish for the 60
day challenge from President Wall. I'm excited to have more time to focus on
that. It takes me a lot longer to read in Spanish. I'm now in the War Chapters.
That's kind of fun and interesting in Spanish. haha. I guess I need to learn
war lingo in Spanish!
Fun stories from this week:
So on Tuesday we received a call from a less active woman
that we had never heard of and isn't on our ward list. She called and asked us
for a Book of Mormon for herself and for her friend!!!! Every missionary loves
to get a call like that! Turns out that she joined the church two years ago in
Texas but recently moved back here. Because of her work schedule she attends
the ward in Houma which is why her records aren't here and why we'd never heard
of her. She wanted to give a Book of Mormon to her friend that had watched
conference with her. We were pretty excited about that!
This week we contacted the very first media referral that
I've ever received! Yup, I've been out a year and had never received a media
referral. I've found that they are far less common for Spanish missionaries.
Well, this media referral, Ginger, lives in the middle of nowhere. Sister Olsen
(the senior couple in the mission office) gave her to us because she's not
really close to anyone but we seemed the closest. She lives in Pierre Part. We
looked that up online and found that it's not even in our branch boundaries but
in the Thibadeax Ward. We spoke with out District Leader and Zone Leaders about
what to do since she's not in our boundaries and they said we should call and
discuss it with the Thibadeax Elders. They asked us to go ahead and contact
her. So on Friday we went and contacted Ginger! It was a lot of miles but so
worth it. It was an incredible lesson and the spirit was SO strong!! She just
loved everything thing we talked to her about. We ending up teaching her the
whole Restoration lesson and then some. She just about jumped for joy when we
told her that Christ had come to minister here in the Americas. Her response
was, "I KNEW IT!!" She responded with an excited yes as we invited
her to be baptized as she comes to know these things are true! She has been so
prepared and is so wanting to learn everything about the gospel. She even asked
for a Book of Mormon for her son!
A member in the branch had a baby this past week! We went
over to visit her and the new baby. When we walked in she walked towards us
with her hands out reached for us to hold baby Atlas (yeah, they named him
Atlas). It was SO hard to tell her we can't hold babies. It's my least favorite
rule. I just wanted to hold that adorable baby so badly! I think they made that
rule so that Sisters will go home and get married quickly so they can have
their own kid to make up for the year and a half when they couldn't hold one.
Just kidding. kind of. I know they have the rule for safety and that a lot of
missionaries have wrongfully gone to jail due circumstances with children. But
it's still hard to not be able to hold children!!!
Another member from the branch is in the hospital for heart
problems. We've gone over a few times this week with the Elders to sing. Sister
Wily is incredible at the ukulele so she brings it around to spread the joy and
spirit of music! It's a lot of fun and instantly fills a room with the spirit.
The member is being moved this morning to another hospital in Houma. The
hospital here in Morgan City isn't very good or advanced.
Tonight we are heading to New Iberia to sleep at the New
Iberia Sister's apartment then in the morning we'll head to Lafayette for Zone
Conference tomorrow! I'm excited for Zone Conference! It's always fun to see
President and Sister Wall. And the other missionaries in the Zone. We kind of
live far away from the rest of the Zone that all lives close together! So it's
always a treat to see them. And I will definitely be getting frozen yogurt
while out of Morgan City. Yeah. Morgan City doesn't even have frozen yogurt.
It's depressing because I love frozen yogurt so much! But I survive, somehow :)
Well, that a summary of my life this week! Hope y'all had a
good week!
con amor,
Kim
No comments:
Post a Comment