What a crazy but awesome week it has been!!!!!!
For starters... I have a new companion! Her name is Hermana Walker and she is awesome! She has been in the field 4 transfers and has served in Baton Rouge the whole time. She is my third companion and all of them have been the oldest in their family and had a brother on a mission! So crazy. Her brother is in Argentina. It's been a fun week but it's sure been a long week with all the changes and different meetings and events going on.
Monday was INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! I still can't believe I sang the National Anthem at an NBA game! (even though the arena was pretty empty) It was such a cool experience to be standing on the court with the spotlights on us. The mike was right in front of me, and I was the only soprano that could hit the high note on "free" so they told me to belt out the note so I did. It felt to surreal to here my voice echoed through the arena. There were 40 missionaries that sang from the New Orleans English and the New Orleans Spanish Zones. What an incredible opportunity it was to represent the church in that way! All the missionaries got to stay and watch the game which was fun, but the game wasn't really that good. haha. Jimmer never played either. But I did get a smile and wave from Jimmer as we left the court! And the Hornets won so that was cool!
After the game a bunch of us went to Magazine Street in New Orleans. Magazine Street is just a fun little street that has lots of little specialty stores and trendy stuff. It's always fun to do things with the different Elders.
Saturday night a lady from our ward passed away. Her name was Digna Villanueva from Honduras and she was an incredible person!! She just had so much spunk and charisma. She was diagnosed with stomach cancer around Thanksgiving and she also had diabetes. She was one of those people that you met and instantly love because they are just so fun and full of life. She was a beloved member of the ward and had been a member for about 35 years. She will definitely be missed by all. Last night there was a viewing and the missionaries performed three songs that she had picked out before she passed. She wanted to make sure that the missionaries sang How Great Thou Art (her favorite hymn), God Be With You Til We Meet Again and Abide With Me. This afternoon there is another viewing, the service and the burial that we will all be attending. It been amazing to see the love and support from the ward at this difficult time.
Between singing at the Hornets game and the funeral, us missionaries have been doing A LOT of singing this week!
I'm out of time so there won't be personal emails or pictures this week! Sorry, things have been so busy-which as a missionary is good!!!
I love you all!
con amor,
Kim
No comments:
Post a Comment