I can't believe it's already the week of Thanksgiving! Time is flying by! I hope everyone has an awesome Thanksgiving!!
Well it's been quite a week! We saw a lot of miracles throughout the week and a lot of neat experience occurred.
So that play I mentioned we did for FHE last week, we have been asked to perform it again so that more people can see it. We are performing it again during the 3rd hour of the block at church on Sunday. haha
On Saturday I attended my first Spanish Wedding Reception. It was for one of the women in the Ward. Her name is Dahlia. The reception was at the church and it was supposed to start at 7pm but with the Spanish culture nothing starts at the time it's supposed to. It didn't even start until 8:40. haha
This week we have been doing a lot with the young women in the ward. We had a meeting with the YW president, Sister Barrett and she gave us a list of all the young women. Our goal this week was to find them all because there were a bunch that Sister Barrett had never even seen before. It's interesting having the English and Spanish wards combined for Primary and YW/YM because the youth know both languages but a lot of the Adults don't so it's hard for all of the leaders of the two wards to communicate about different things.
Yesterday was the Primary Program and it was great! Because of the program both wards were combined for Sacrament Meeting, which was very interesting. They did everything in English which seemed odd since half the people there spoke only Spanish. We had headsets for translation but not enough of them so a lot of the Spanish speakers had no idea what was going on. The program was very nice but I feel like they should have had a few things in Spanish. They did sing one verse of I am a Child of God in Spanish so that was good.
We had several less actives that we have been working with come to church for the first time in a long time yesterday. It was so exciting to finally have them come back to church. We also helped two less actives move on Saturday. It was a double move. Laura and her husband Clarke (non-member) moved to a house, then Yaleda moved into Laura and Clarke's old apartment. It was a lot of work but most of the missionaries from the ward came to help. I've been sick and not feeling well, so I stuck to helping with the light stuff and cleaning.
We have a new investigator!! ....sort of..... Elder Cardon and Elder Pope were tracking doors and found Yaneli and asked us to visit her because she is a single mom and has 3 young kids. She is extremely interested in the Plan of Salvation and that families can be together forever but has little interest in coming to church. But she wants to keep learning from us. We shall see what happens with her.
So I can't remember if I told you the situation with the Spanish Sisters or not so here it is. There used to be Spanish Sisters in this mission but after Hurricane Katrina it was too unsafe so the Mission President took them out. Earlier this year a sister came into the mission who already spoke Spanish. President started thinking about reintroducing Spanish Sisters into the mission and asked Church Headquarters to call Spanish Sisters. When they asked how many he wanted he decided to start with 8. My trainer was the first of the Spanish called sisters and was trained by Sister Palmer, who was the sister that already knew Spanish. This is Hermana Marks' 3rd transfer and 2nd time training. There are currently 7 Spanish sisters with the last one to arrive during the next transfers on Dec 5. The Spanish Sisters are Hna. Marks, Hna. Ward, Hna. Burns, Hna. Ure, Hna. Toleafoa, Hna. Walker and I. This means that there are only 4 Spanish Sister's areas and they are Kenner/Metairie (which is my area), West Bank, Morgan City and Baton Rouge.
One weird thing about Louisiana is that there are Palm Trees everywhere. I was not expecting this at all!! There are so many different types of trees and vegetation here, it's crazy. Also, the weather here is crazy. One day is super cold the next it's super hot. You just never know.
Hope everyone has a good week!
Con Amor,
Kim
No comments:
Post a Comment