Thursday, October 18, 2012

Louisiana....Spanish Speaking?!

Well I met some pretty awesome people this week.....including the General Relief Society President and a member of the Quorum of the Seventy!!!! Yup, I met Sister Burton and Elder Bowen! It was so cool! I still can't believe I've met either of them. What an awesome experience it is to be here in the MTC and constantly have General Authorities and other prominent church authorities come and speak to us. When I met each of them they both asked me where I was going after looking at my tag and seeing Spanish was my language. They were both shocked when I said Louisiana Baton Rouge. Each time they responded with ...Louisiana..... Spanish Speaking?.... hahah It is really funny to tell people my call because they are always shocked that I'm going to Louisiana speaking Spanish.

Sister Burton spoke for Relief Society on Sunday. She talked about the 4 things you will have if you listen to conference. They are: 1) Be uplifted 2) Stronger Resolution to do good 3) Answers to questions or problems and 4) Lead you to thank the Lord for what you have learned. She also gave us threes quotes from her mission. 1) This is the time to share everything that you are. 2) Learn about what you are doing by doing it. and 3) The Lord calls ordinary men to do extraordinary callings. Once called he learns to fill the gaps.- Elder Nelson

Our Sunday night fireside was a repeat speaker but it was still great. Richard I Heaton, Administrative Director of the Missionary Department, spoke. He talked about how the first of the new younger missionaries will begin arriving at the MTC at the first of the year and their MTC will be 1/3 the time that is it now. This means that by the middle of February, those speaking a language will be arriving in the field and their will be so many that those in the MTC now will most likely be the trainers.... I will have been out in the field for 3.5 months at that point! It's pretty crazy to hear about all the changes that are about to occur. One Elder in my zone received a letter from his mom saying that since the announcement there have been 2,000 women apply for deferment from BYU-I. I don't now exactly how accurate that is but that's what we have heard. They are saying that currently there are 58,500 missionaries but within a 1.5 year there will be over 100,000 missionaries (this is the estimated number obviously).

Our Tuesday night Devotional was by Elder Bowen! I was so excited that he was the speaker. A few weeks ago a new Mormon Message came out called Reclaimed and it's based on one of his previous talks. It's amazing so you should go watch it. Also, I absolutely loved his talk that he gave during the Saturday Morning session of conference. Before the Devotional began he came in one of the side doors by where I was sitting and came up and starting talking to me and my district. It was so exciting!! He and his wife were so nice, but once again, they were shocked by my call! His talk was incredible and he talked about a ton of different things. Here are some of the highlights that I enjoyed:
1) There is no where else I'd rather be!  (He said this about himself but it made me realize that at this moment there is nowhere else I'd rather be than the MTC.)
2)The study of doctrine will change behavior faster than the study of behavior will change behavior.
3) The announcement made at conference will change the WORLD- not just the church
4) I can't go back to where I was- I'm better now. (Because of the temple)
5) Any conversion is a miracle. and the formula for miracles is obedience + work = miracles
6) Many of us are natural teachers- fewer are natural planners and fewer are natural finders.
7) Talk to everyone! People love their families so talk to them about that and it will led to the Gospel because our gospel is centered on families. (Be a member missionary. This doesn't just apply to me as a missionary :)  )
8) We do not take out our endowments but we receive our endowment. This is the same principle with the Holy Ghost. It is not an event but a process.
9) How to increase personal revelation: Develop questions then pursue answers. We have the Doctrine and Covenants because Joseph Smith had questions and persuade answers.
His whole talk was amazing and exactly what I needed to hear as I prepare to head out into the field this next week!

Speaking of going out into the field.... I' m breaking out of this place and heading to Louisiana on Tuesday morning. Mom you had a question about whether you can come to the airport, here is what our travel plans say on the matter, "Family and friends should not plan to see you off at the airport or the MTC." But I'm still going to give you my travel plans so you can know when I'm leaving and arriving. I leave the MTC at 3 am on the 23rd.

American Airlines, flight 304   LV: SLC, UT @ 6am
                                                AR: Dallas/Ft Worth, Tx @ 9:35 am
American Airline, flight 2716  Lv: Dallas/Ft Worth, Tx @ 12:00 pm
                                               AR: Baton Rouge, LA @ 1:20 pm

I have to pay the baggage fees but I will be reimbursed once I get to the mission office. I'm not sure how much money I have on my debit card. I've definitely spent more here at the MTC than I was expecting. Will you make sure I have money on my card? Also should I just go ahead and put it on my credit card and then you can just pay it off later?

Also, I can call home while at the airport. They sell phone cards here at the bookstore. They are worth $5 and the back says each call is $1.29. I bought 2 cards. I know that when Hermana Andrew's brother headed to Baton Rouge he ended up calling home from Dallas. Which would work better for you guys? Who all should I try calling? How can I get a hold of Dad if I have to call from Dallas and he is at work? I have the home phone and mom and dad's cell numbers but if you want me to call anyone else I'll need their numbers.
So random events that occurred this week.... I got a haircut on Thursday.... it was BAD!!!! I have never had such a bad cut in my entire life. For starters I asked her to cut off .5 in. and she cut off 3. Also, she had no idea how to cut layers. I literally had three distinct sections of hair all a different length. It was absolutely terrible. I ended up going back the next day to get it fixed. This lady did the best she could to fix it but my hair isn't the greatest. I have about a billion layers but at least they are more blended.

Another thing that happened was, Medio Miercoles. It's a zone tradition that on the leaving districts last Wednesday night after gym the Elders part their hair in the middle. This is because the Elders have to get a hair cut the next day plus it's the last gym. But our Elder's said if they have to do it then so did we. So we did. My hair was parted in the middle and I had pig tails. :) Also, about half the other Elder's in the zone wanted to join in. It was hilarious so we took a ton of pictures. Sorry I haven't sent any pictures in a few weeks. The card readers stopped working here at the MTC. I will be sending a box home in a few days and it will have my SD card in it so you can see all the funny pictures. While looking at the pictures it may seem like we goof off a lot but really we don't it's just that every time we are is the times we take pictures! haha

We had a few depressing days in the district this week where no one in the district got any mail all day. It seems like the longer each district is here the less mail is received. I''m going to miss being able to receive DearElders so send them in while you can. The last time you can send it and I'll receive it is before 12 pm on Monday!

Whole bunch of random things: (mostly for mom but I''m quickly running out of time so I'm not writing a separate email)
- So exciting the mission prep class for the stake has doubled in size!!!!
- Thanksgiving should be fun with everyone but stressful for you. I always seem to miss the years when everyone comes over for Thanksgiving. haha last time I was in London (in the hospital :) )
- Is Sarah at BYU this semester? I know she was going back and forth before I left but I never heard whether she is out here or not? Who is this guy she is dating? Has she made a decision?
- I heard from Amanda that Tiffany has a blog. Can you see if you can find it and send me an update on her? there might be a link on her Facebook page if she has one.
- Will someone update my address on Facebook next week once I get to Louisiana?
- Raye Ann: can you get me Anne Finlinson's address? You could just Fb message her or something? Thanks! That would be awesome!!!
- Hermana Andrews says that her brother has P-day on Monday and usually the whole mission has it on the same day. So it will probably be 1.5 weeks before another email.

Well I''m off to the temple now! We usually go around 9 but we are going so that our teacher could come with us! I'm excited!

I love and miss you all!

Con Amor,
Hermana Kim Blauer

No comments:

Post a Comment