Well, I've decided to extend. I'll see yall in 6 more weeks.
Just kidding. Mom would kill me :)
But I'm down to the final days. I can't believe how fast it's come. It's been a crazy few days and President threw another curve ball. We got a call from our Zone Leaders and my "baby" Hermana McClendon is going to be in quad here in Kenner this next transfer. There will be her, her MTC companion and 2 brand new missionaries. So they are in for a stressful few weeks but they will figure it out. And they are on the Lord's errand! He knows what he is doing. But she was already freaking out (rightfully so) about taking over the area and training after only 6 weeks in the field and then this big bomb shell of stress came! It's going to be crazy stressful but it's through the trials that we grow. I learned sooo much when I was in quad companionships!
We had a Zone Training Meeting on Saturday and it was amazing! It was exactly what I needed to hear. Our Zone Leaders had gotten their hands on a copy of a devotional that Elder Holland gave in the MTC then he based his General conference talk from October of 2012 on it. (https://www.lds.org/general- conference/2012/10/the-first- great-commandment?lang=eng& query=elder) He talked about Preach My Gospel and how it is designed to convert the missionaries then it is their responsibility to take that conversion and apply the principles to those they teach. He talked about the apostles after Christ died. They had served by his side for about 36 months then he died and they didn't know what to do with themselves. They felt lost and directionless. So they went back to what they knew before their mission with Christ. They went back to fishing. But we can't! We can't go back to fishing. Christ comes to them and asks Peter, "Do you love me?" 3 different times. Each time Peter responds with a yes. "To which Jesus responded (and here again I acknowledge my non scriptural elaboration), perhaps saying something like: “Then Peter, why are you here? Why are we back on this same shore, by these same nets, having this same conversation? Wasn't it obvious then and isn't it obvious now that if I want fish, I can get fish? What I need, Peter, are disciples—and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world. So, Peter, for the second and presumably the last time, I am asking you to leave all this and to go teach and testify, labor and serve loyally until the day in which they will do to you exactly what they did to me.”" -Elder Holland
Pretty powerful!! So this week I'm returning home, but not to "fishing". He has asked us to Feed His Sheep and do it forever! I guess this week I'll find out what it really all means to not return back to fishing!
Well, my 18 months as a full time missionary are ending and the next chapter of my life is about to begin. I am so grateful for these last 18 months. It's been a crazy roller coaster of a year and half! It sure hasn't been easy but it was never meant to be easy. There were days went I wanted to throw in the towel and quit but the Lord was there for me every step of the journey. He will never give us anything that we can't overcome! He is always there to strengthen and uplift us. There were many times, okay, everyday, when I knew I couldn't do it on my own and I didn't. But He is there for every step of the way.
It blows my mind to think of all the experiences that I have had jam packed in the last 18 months. I like to think that I've learned a lot. To be honest, I really didn't know anything about the gospel before I came on my mission. I knew the basics since I had grown up in the church but I never really dug deep into the Gospel and specifically into the Book of Mormon! Each day has strengthened my testimony and deepened my conversion! I've learned so much but know that my journey has only just begun. I've got a whole life time to continue learning and growing and progressing.
Thank you so much to everyone that has supported me these last 18 months. Thank you for the letters, emails, packages and prayers on my behalf! and for reading my sometimes boring emails :)
Well, see you all this week!!!!
con amor,
Kim
No comments:
Post a Comment